Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, March 17, 2014

Coconut Butter Cookies

Something delicious happened today. First of all, the other day I discovered coconut butter. We are not talking about coconut oil or cocoa butter. This is coconut butter. Like peanut butter. Only coconut. Anyhow, today I made some. My advice, based on my experience today and what I have read is, it's probably not worth trying to make coconut butter at home unless you have a Blendtec or a Vitamix blender. Okay, so I took about 8 ounces natural coconut shreds that I got in the bulk bin at our Smiths and put it in the Blendtec. Then I increased the speed to 10 and let it run its cycle. Then I repeated this. It turned into a smooth butter. It made a little more than 3/4 of a cup. The best part is what happened next. Coconut butter cookies. I made the "Classic Peanut Butter Cookies" from the Joy of Cooking cookbook, using an equal amount of coconut butter in the place of the peanut butter. The result is a chewy/shortbread texture and the delicious flavor of coconut. Very delicious. Here's the recipe: Coconut Butter Cookies (adapted from The Joy of Cooking) 2 1/2 c flour 1 1/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 1/4 c canola oil 2/3 c coconut butter 12 T softened butter 1/3 c powdered sugar 1 c brown sugar 1 egg 1 egg yolk 2 1/2 t vanilla Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In separate bowl combine remaining ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet. Using a 1 1/2 T scoop, scoop dough onto cookie sheet lined with parchment. Make a crosshatch pattern with the tines of a fork. Bake 350 degrees for 11-15 mins.

1 comment: