Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, April 25, 2009

PG?

What does the term "PG" mean in the movie world? Not much. We watched "Bride Wars" last night and I was shocked by some of the images and themes that were deemed appropriate for a movie with a PG rating. The movie is about two best friends who, after a  beautiful childhood experience, witnessing a bride and groom passing by while at New York's Plaza Hotel, it becomes their dream for the next twenty years to one day marry in the Plaza Hotel. 
Fast forward 20 years. Things go awry as their weddings are scheduled for the same day and they start hating each other. There are a lot of fun lines, like how you don't alter a Vera Wang wedding gown, you alter yourself to fit the gown, and tender scenes of a fiance comforting his future bride after her hair accidentally becomes dyed blue. However, much of the movie attested to the degenerate nature of our society: fiancees living together, abundant drinking, a scene at a strip club for the bachelorette party, scenes of partial nudity. These things were disturbing, and as I was hiding my head in my husband's chest, I mourned the decision to have entered that theater. The movie attested to the crumbling value structure of our society--where something as beautiful as a childhood dream of marriage became muddied by sin.
If you haven't seen the movie, save yourself the trouble.

2 comments:

  1. Sad story. That movie had potential to be so funny. I guess I'm not too surprised though. And I add my voice to yours that PG no longer means the safety it once did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience. I dont' know if you've heard of the website called kidsinmind.com. They give movies 3 ratings based on immorality, violence, and language. It helps me know before I go see a movie to see if I will be offended. I don't trust the MPAA rating system anymore either. Sometimes I'm really surprised what they considered "PG" these days.

    ReplyDelete